Farro and Sweet Potato Bake
- 6 thick cut slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons good olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups chopped yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups pearled farro
- 3 cups good chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 3 cups (¾ to 1 inch, diced) peeled butternut squash
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Cook the bacon in the 12 ½” deep skillet and bake until almost done. Cut into pcs.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in the 12 ½” deep skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until tender and starting to brown. Add the thyme, 2 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. pepper and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the farro and chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Place the squash on top of the farro mixture, cover, and bake in the same oven with the bacon for 30 minutes, until the squash and farro are tender. Check once during cooking and add a little chicken stock if it's dry.
- Sprinkle the bacon and Parmesan on the squash and farro and bake uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes, until most of the liquid evaporates, the farro and butternut squash are tender, and the cheese has melted. Serve hot directly from the pot.
50+ Quick & Easy Recipes
Inspired by Celebrity Chef Daniel Green
- Quick & easy to make
- No experience needed
- Includes different desserts, dinners, lunches & quick snacks!
Sign up to learn about new products and special offers